Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lexus is cheaper if you get a Nissan


I've been on the road a bit the past couple of weeks and as such I get to eat lunch-like meals at 7-11.  I normally get a taquito, bag of Fritos or Doritos and a water or some asinine energy drink if the label makes me laugh.

Today upon check-out, the cashier told me that if I got a big bite (hot dog), a fountain drink and "7-Select" chips, it would only cost $2.99.  I told him that was good to know but that is not what I wanted.  He stared at me with a confused look and seemingly refused to scan my items.  I asked him if I should go the other register and he HONESTLY TOLD ME that he didn't understand why I wouldn't want the $2.99 deal, and grudgingly rang me up.

As I was leaving I heard him make a smart ass comment to the guy behind me as he was checking out.  So I went to the car and dropped my lunchish concoction off.

Then I went back in, asked the other cashier for a big bite, grabbed a pack of 7-select chips and an empty fountain soda cup.  I opened the chips and took a mouthful, bit off the end of the hot dog, spit it in the cup and put it on the counter.

And I just looked at him and said "This is why I didn't get the special, because I don't want any of these things."

When I was unhatching this idea in my head as I walked back in I was just going to walk out at this point.  But I kinda felt bad and the other cashier was laughing at my cashier, so I gave him $3 but dumped the takepenny tray out for taxes.

The whole thing just really pissed me off.  Was this just an upselling training gone wrong?  Does anyone ever bite on this pitch?

Fucked economy lesson #1 - Things are cheaper if you adjust what your expectations of what you think you want are, and what you think would satisfy that need could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment